Wednesday, March 29, 2017

20-Minute Writing Sprints

Hi Lovelies!

I thought today might be a good day for a writing tip instead of my normal self-promotion. I use this technique quite often, and it honestly does help in getting things done. It's as simple as setting a timer for 20 minutes and writing (or editing, plotting, or any other writing task) until the timer goes off. I use the timer on Google, but the one on your phone, your iPad, your watch, or whatever works just as well. Heck, an old kitchen timer would do the trick, too! 

I find that if I know I can check my phone, Twitter, other Internet sites, or anything that normally distracts me from writing a short 20 minutes later, I can get plenty done. Once the timer goes off, I sooth myself with those fun and addicting things for a few minutes, set the timer again, and do another 20 minutes. (And if you have trouble limiting your time on those fun activities, set the timer again for 5 minutes and get back to writing when it goes off.)

Of course, 20 minutes is an arbitrary time. It's usually the amount I can give my undivided attention to something before my mind starts to wander a bit. If you find 10 or 15 minute sprints are more your speed, go for it! You might find that 30 minutes are more your sweet spot. Great! (I'm actually hoping to up mine to 30 minutes, but for now when I go past 20, I usually find myself itching at about the 22 or 23 minute mark.😄) All that matters is you're giving yourself plenty of uninterrupted time to write. 

There are also ways to block the Internet for a small block of time on your devices if you really need help avoiding distractions. I can't personally recommend any, as I've never tried them, but if you need that extra little help, know that they exist and are a Google (or whatever your search engine of choice is) search away. Whatever helps you get words on the page (or said words edited) is the way to go! 

I hope this helps some of you, or at least gives you something to think about. Feel free to leave your own tips in the comments! If I get enough, I'll make a new blog post with those tips! Have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment